Monday, January 30, 2012

Felted sweater "blanket"

So, for years(?!) I've been collecting shrunken wool and cashmere
sweaters at the thrift store whenever I find them. I now have 2
shelves worth. Shelves which are desperately needed for other things
in our one-bedroom apartment I might add.
My plan is to make blankets. But, I haven't been excited by the look
of other blankets I've seen - too patchworky, too country cottage.
But I finally found a photo. And was inspired. And spent the weekend
cutting several of the aforementioned sweaters into strips. At which
point, I decided I didn't LOVE the colorway, and wasn't sure I had
enough, and promptly lost interest.
But I did spend some time cutting the remaining scraps into hearts.
And sewed them into garlands. For Valentines Day gifts. Or to sell.
And here they are. Bad lighting and crappy iPhone photo as usual.

3 comments:

  1. story of my crafting experience. this is why I have so many unfinished projects. glad you got to make something out of the scraps though! which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I definitely need one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I made these, I fed each heart into the sewing machine, sewed a few stitches (with nothing there) and then fed the next one in. In several of the tutorials I saw, they had no trouble making long "chains" of stitches between hearts. My machine was not so accommodating. And, Cheryl's quickly broke.

    Second go around, I hand-stitched with embroidery floss. MUCH improved system. More relaxing, simpler, and stronger.

    ReplyDelete